The Predator Starts Filming Soon, Not A Sequel

PredatorBy Heath McKnight (doddleNEWS)

Logan co-star Boyd Holbrook, who has been cast as the lead in Shane Black’s The Predator after Benicio Del Toro dropped out due to his schedule, recently revealed the film starts shooting next week.

Holbrook explained to Comic Book a short while ago that it would shoot in ’12 days,’ and our friends at Screen Rant believe The Predator could begin filming February 24. Nothing is known of the plot, but in another report, Holbrook had this to say about the movie, which apparently isn’t a sequel (via We Got This Covered, hat tip: SR):

“I’m currently working on Predator. It’s not a sequel; Shane Black has made something totally new, somehow keeping within the realm of Predator [while also being] absolutely new in terms of the story that we’re talking about today, and rooted in something real. It’s real fresh. I don’t think you’re going to see [Arnold] Schwarzenegger. It would kind of make it a gimmick. It’s horror, science-fiction and a western.”

So that goes against what director Shane Black said it was an “inventive sequel,” plus this in July 2014:

“Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine? [I like] the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.”

What’s the deal here? Well, this would fall into inventive sequel, “something totally new, somehow keeping within the realm of Predator,” as Holbrook stated. Genre-wise, horror and sci-fi make sense, as that’s what all the films were, including the decent 2010 reboot that went nowhere, and the awful Alien vs. Predator films, but western? That’s interesting, and I’m curious what Black has up his sleeve.

I loved his Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005), which helped resucciated Robert Downey Jr.’s career, pre-Iron Man, though I was really disappointed with Iron Man 3 (though our critic Kimberly Gadette liked it, and writer Mark Hodge loved it). Last year saw Black’s return to form with The Nice Guys, so I’m willing to give his take on The Predator a chance. Plus, I’m a huge fan of the original film, which he co-starred in (and came up with his raunchy jokes) as Hawkins.

So, no Arnold cameo? About a year ago, the ‘Ahnuld’ said this:

“I haven’t talked with [Shane Black] yet but I’m going to meet with him for lunch sometime soon. Just as soon as I’m finished with [Arnold’s Sports Festival] and ‘The Apprentice’ and all this stuff. But I will get together with him. If there is any news, we’ll of course let you know right away. There’s also a meeting coming up soon about ‘Conan,’ about the project moving forward.”

The Conan film seems to have stalled out, and Holbrook says Schwarzenegger won’t cameo. If it really is a reboot, then it’s obvious return as Dutch, and I’d hope he won’t play another character altogether in a cameo, a la the Ghostbusters remake last year. And to be honest, there have been five total Predator movies, and Arnold was only in the first one, dating back to 1987.

In the old Dark Horse comic series ‘Concrete Jungle,’ his brother is front and center, and if I remember correctly, they said Dutch had cancer from the nuclear blast and escaped the hospital and was never seen again. Plus, Arnold’s star has dimmed, with The Apprentice tanking in ratings and Terminator Genisys bombing at the box office.

The Predator opens February 9, 2018. Stay tuned for more details, including a plot summary, hopefully!

 

About Heath McKnight

Editor and Web Content Manager at doddleNEWS; I've been a writer for over 10 years, and a producer/director/editor in film and video for over 16 years. I've written for TopTenREVIEWS, Digital Media Net, Videomaker and other sites and magazines.

Speak Your Mind

*


*